Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A perfect icon for Advent ... Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign.


Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign:
the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and shall name him Emmanuel. - Isaiah 7:14


The root of Jesse has blossomed,
the star of David has risen. - Antiphon


In the bush seen by Moses
as burning and yet unconsumed,
we recognize the preservation 
of your glorious virginity,
O Mother of God.
- Antiphon


Detail of Our Lady of the Burning Bush
similar to OL of the Sign.


Spanish Colonial Example
Our Lady of the Sign
The Virgin Birth of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. I love these icons. I remember the first time I saw an Icon of Our Lady of the Burning Bush at a Seminary in North Dakota. I fell in love with it. Someday I will have to buy one. And the Kursk Icon is miraculous no? I believe it exudes Myrrh.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.