Sunday, November 12, 2017

Pope bans cigarette sales in Vatican and camera phones at Mass



And he gets criticism for it.

It's weird.  Pointing out saints who smoked in defense?  I used to smoke.  Three packs a day - it helped me think, so I told myself.  Now I say writing does, but I used to paint and smoke, paint and smoke and study the work.  The health effects were enormous.  I denied it at the time.  I was always getting colds and bronchitis, sinus infections, and so on.  Finally, about 10 years ago I had the worst flu of my life, pneumonia.  I couldn't smoke if I wanted to - and then after being sick for a couple of weeks, I no longer wanted to smoke.  I was so sick I hadn't noticed the withdrawal symptoms.  I miss smoking and know I could start again anytime.  It's addictive.

Some say it's a mortal sin to smoke.  The Pope hasn't said that.  I don't say that.  It's intentionally ridiculous for anyone to suggest that a saint who smoked shouldn't be a saint.  (Many saints smoked or used snuff.)  I get the sarcasm there.  That said, at one time smoking was socially acceptable - now we know its dangers, so it would be difficult to approve the habit in our day. 

Many saints smoked.

The fact that the Holy Father decided to ban the sale of cigarettes is another matter however.  It has to do with the tax free status and profits from the sale of a product which has proven detrimental to health.  It's an excellent reform - maybe a bit like overturning the tables of money changers in the Temple.

I don't think photos at Mass is in the rubrics.

Narcissists.

The most absurd objection to the phone ban at Mass is that it might be necessary to take photos of 'good' liturgies because there are so many bad liturgies.  I'm not sure how old these people are, but growing up, photos were rarely allowed during Mass - even at weddings.  After Mass, photos might be allowed, but never during Mass.  The argument that technology has changed and it is part of the culture is being used against the admonition of the Pope.  By liturgy people - of all people - who stress appropriate decorum and solemnity in liturgical celebrations - and criticize the narcissistic character of the Ordinary Form of Mass with the priest facing the congregation.  Amazing.

Leave it to Reverend Master of Ceremonies to add this bit of criticism:  "First, if Pope Francis doesn’t want all the photos during Masses etc., he might set an example by avoiding" ... selfies.  Huh?  The Pope poses with pilgrims for a selfie outside liturgical celebrations - not during Mass.

Poor Pope, no matter what he says or does, he gets criticized.  It's like the Pharisees asking Christ by what authority do you overturn the money changers tables and condemn performing rituals to be seen and admired and recorded on an iphone?

I could go for a drink about now,
how 'bout you Georg?



12 comments:

  1. No criticism here. In fact I love Papa Francis even more because of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. These people always protest big outdoor Masses too - yet defend the photography.

      Delete
    2. Papa!Papa!Papa! 😊

      I support him too in the cigarros ban and the disruptive cell phone taking during Mass. I remember watching the YT video where he was talking to the Wednesday audience about the taking of photos during Mass. I chuckled at his words but also agreed. The audience applauded him when he especially mentioned priests and bishops using their cell phones during Mass and how upsetting he finds that.

      I'm on board as I find it rude, disrespectful, and downright tacky.

      Delete
    3. When I said I chuckled at his words I meant his tone and the words he used and to his gestures of expression. Hope that makes sense but you know that saying, "it's a guy thing?" well, unless you're Italian or Hispano, it's just that. 😆

      Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

      Delete
  2. The Vatican is becoming like a high school! No smokes, no cell phones, no sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been like that. Women used to have to wear raincoats if their skirt was too short, wore shorts or their tops were too bare. A friend and I sat down on the step of the Holy Door and we were ordered to move by a guard. They had a lot of rules about decorum and conduct which is why I'm surprised by those protesting these developments - normally they love prohibitions and rules.

      Delete
  3. Wait, pneumonia is a symptom of n8cotine withdrawal? What?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - but it masked the symptoms because I was so sick - I thought that would be clear. I know you were at Cathy's resort this weekend and that you are still drunk.

      Delete
    2. I can't help It! All she had in the house was vodka. I tried to sneak out for a gin and tonic, but the 5 star restaurant was out of gin. I only saw 3 deerbon my way home. Hooves up.

      Delete
  4. You know, when I was young and in love with love, I thought smoking would make me more "Gloria Swanson like" but alas, all it did was make me dizzy especially if I tried to inhale. >x<

    As the years have come and gone, I am glad I never got the hang of it because today, as a hospice nurse, I have seen my fair share of folks dying from Chronic COPD, ES Lung Cancer with recurrent episodes of Pulmonary Edema or Pneumonia. The elasticity of the lung tissue no longer functions, the tiny air sacs are so stretched they no longer serve their purpose. Then, the gas/air exchange is so compromised the poor patient is left gasping for air and in respiratory distress or so congested because again, the lungs are no longer functioning in an efficient manner that frequent suctioning is required. A combination of Morphine and Lorazepam is then required ... Morphine, to reduce the respiratory drive, Lorazepam, to ease the anxiety from trying to breathe and feeling like you are breathless. We also use a drug by the name of Levsin to reduce the secretions that build up in the back of the throat.

    What's my point? Papa Francis is wise to ban the sale of cigarros in Vatican City due to the ugly health hazards that come from years of smoking. Yet, despite the many warnings many will continue to smoke until the end. I have had patients request to smoke by removing their oxygen, smoking and coughing and then starting the cycle all over again to get them under control.

    May God have mercy from all those who suffer so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give the Pope credit. For him it is not about money but what is best for people.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.