Saturday, July 15, 2017

Stella Maris, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

Haifa, Israel
(OL of Arabia is also modeled after this statue.)


While in choir at the Charterhouse in Vermont I imagined seeing Our Lady as she appears in this photo - it seemed to me to be a consolation and assurance of her protection after I was told I didn't have a vocation.  Just Christian.  Once I accepted that, I began to understand myself.

The toties quoties originally began at noon on the 15th of July, extending until Midnight on the actual Feast of Mt. Carmel.  I'm not sure if that remains in effect.  For certain, a plenary indulgence may be gained on July 16 by visiting a Carmelite chapel, and praying the usual prayers for the Holy Father, as well as the Creed, an Our Father, and the Hail Mary. Devotion to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is ancient and very much connected to the Prophet Elijah. In later times, the Scapular of Mt. Carmel was given to St. Simon Stock. It is one of the most richly indulgenced sacramentals in the Church and is considered the sign of one's consecration to the Blessed Virgin.

At Fatima Our Lady showed herself as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel during the miracle of the sun.  There are intriguing parallels on that account to the Prophet Elijah in his confrontation with the pagan priests on Carmel, and calling down fire from heaven.  Because of that, it lends an apocalyptic nuance to the final vision of Fatima.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I will be at a Carmelite chapel tomorrow. I had no idea I could earn a plenary indulgence. BTW, my baptismal name is Maria del Carmen, and I was baptized by a Carmelite in the church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Havana, so I have a special connection to the Blessed Mother by this title. I'm glad she blessed you at such an important moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! Say a prayer for me too. Thanks!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.