Wednesday, April 05, 2017

The worst chemical attack in years in Syria ... and a post about a comment.

For how shall we hear unless someone cries out 
above the tumult and destruction and delusion? - Alfred Delp


We have in our day, no prince, prophet or leader ...

BEIRUT, Lebanon — One of the worst chemical bombings in Syria turned a northern rebel-held area into a toxic kill zone on Tuesday, inciting international outrage over the ever-increasing government impunity shown in the country’s six-year war.
Dozens of people, including children, died — some writhing, choking, gasping or foaming at the mouth — after breathing in poison that possibly contained a nerve agent or other banned chemicals, according to witnesses, doctors and rescue workers. They said the toxic substance spread after warplanes dropped bombs in the early morning hours. Some rescue workers grew ill and collapsed from proximity to the dead. - Source
It is absolutely appalling.  A horror.  The killing of civilians.  The destruction of cities, villages, communities, families, women and children.

I wasn't going to post on Steve Skojec, simply because his life and work is none of my business.  I reconsidered after reading more about the Syrian chemical attack, killing dozens of people, many of them children.  I was struck by something Skojec said in a comment, defending "the work we do here to defend the family and the institution of marriage."  That's his work?

So what follows is the post I was not going to post yet decided to do so because it is so damn ridiculous that an American Catholic husband and father can post the bullshit he does in the face of serious, real life, in your face, suffering and death.  People have to snap out of their delusion.

Are you driving your family nuts with your religious fanaticism?

Religious parents might do well to take a sort of moral inventory.  I thought of this after Steve Skojec posted something yesterday about how spiritually tried he has been:
I don’t know about all of you, but lately I’ve not been in a very good state of mind. Everything feels harder than it used to. The battle, which was always fought uphill, has begun to appear almost futile. Trials and difficulties have seeped into all the various facets of life — work, family, expenses, the lived experience of the faith — making each burden feel heavier than it would have felt alone. I have the sense — and I know that I am not alone — that chaos and discord are being intentionally sown right in the midst of the people I hold most dear, all while something cruel and defiant whispers in my ear that none of it matters. Nothing matters. Just give up.
I think he should listen to those voices in his head.  He goes on to describe his malaise:
The writing that once came almost effortlessly for me has turned into an elusive craft. If it isn’t interrupted by an unexpected phone call or email about some new, negative development, it’s thwarted by an oppressive feeling of near-total malaise. Anger. Frustration. Apathy. It alternates, but it’s rarely conducive. My spiritual life has taken a noticeable beating as well ...
Well of course it has Mr. Skojec.  What have you been dishing out?  What have you been doing on your website?

Later on, Skojec, responding to a sympathetic string of comments revealed something that may hold the key to a bigger problem ...
Steve Skojec Mod The Great Stalin • 12 hours ago I, too, have a wayward child. It has been...excruciating, this past year or two. A huge distraction from my work, and in many respects I see what has happened as a direct attack on the work we do here to defend the family and the institution of marriage.

To be sure, Skojec's private life is none of my business, yet he makes his personal life public when he posts stuff like this. So, even though it's none of my business, what I'd suggest to him is first and foremost - avoid those who praise you and donate to you and boost your stats.  Get the attention of your family instead.


Stop viewing unexpected demands as an interruption in your life. Start accepting God's providence and his will in your life. You are a husband and a father and that is your primary state in life. If the duties of your state in life seem to be an intrusion, an interruption, even a distraction - that's a bad sign. Something is wrong. If your 'wayward child' is a distraction and is causing problems for you - it will only get worse if you ignore it. To respond in anger only foments anger. Frustration does indeed lead to apathy. Apathy is a form of sloth. When we neglect the duties of our state, apathy in the spiritual life is the end result. If your family is a distraction, something may be missing. The family may need your love and attention more than you realize.

Religious fanatics blame the devil when things go wrong - more often than not, I think we can place the blame upon ourselves.

Just saying.




I may be wrong, and I may sound like Job's friends, but I think it is important to remember what Our Lord told Sr. Lucia of Fatima about what he expects of us:
 Our Lord explained to her: "The sacrifice required of every person is the fulfillment of his duties in life and the observance of My law. This is the penance that I now seek and require." - Sr. Lucia


Our Lady of Syria, pray for your people,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour
of our death.
Amen.

12 comments:

  1. I think Steve (whom I like very much) is testimony to why Catholics should just concentrate on being Catholic and quit trying to be armchair theologians. I think it's sort of bizarre - but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this guy before. I guess that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took a quick look at his blog. Nothing new there - same old complaints - the world is ending because of VatII, etc.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I will continue to pray for all who are suffering in the Middle East and elsewhere.
      Praying North Korea continues to fail in its attempts to fire off their missiles that are reported to be aimed at the southern part of the US and also Japan.

      Should the NK dictator succeed, the Syrian gas attack will not even come close to comparing in what will be a possible annihilation of entire peoples a thousand times over.

      Our Lady of Fatima pray for us!

      Delete
  3. Syria is one of the oldest Christian communities on earth. She predates Rome and Europe in general. It is not insignificant that this battle is raging there. Will not Or Lord retaliate? Bad times, terrible horrific events. I do not see peace coming before many more suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I met some wonderful people from Syria over a month ago. A family member of theirs was a hospice patient. Anyway, one of the family members told me the people are still hanging on hoping against hope that someone will save them. She said the Christian communities are strong as they have set aside their differences in order to help each other out. Her husband is Catholic while she is Syrian Orthodox. She also told me the people love Papa Francis very much and do not forget the prayer vigil he held for Syria and her people.

      I am asking the glorious Saint Paul to remember God's people in Syria. To liberate them and to deliver them from evil and from despair. He met the Risen Lord on the road to Damascus and became his faithful servant unto death ... surely our Lord will not deny him anything, yes?

      In the meantime we must not forget them! Not a one!

      Delete
  4. I regret having posted this. Skojec and the others are none of my business. Adrienee is right. I'd take it down but the Syrian part is important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve Skojec is a good man who blogs for a living. His blog is how he provides for his family. To tell him to stop bloging and worry about his family doesn't make sense. Blogging IS worrying about his family. Steve loves the Church, loves Christ, loves his family, and has a real desire to bring reform to a Church so clearly in crisis. Instead of complaining about him, maybe we should support his mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree, but like I said - it's none of my business what he does with his life. I think he's a good man as well - very smart, a good writer and so on. I think he's deluded about the crisis in the Church - certainly there is a crisis in the world and the Church - but basing conclusions upon private revelations and private interpretation of scripture and earlier pontifical documents, is not within his competence and tends toward delusion. That's just my opinion of course, but we do have a pope and magisterium able to solve these problems. Promoting doubt is not a worthy work. I hope his family holds together and gets through this with him.

      Delete
    2. who blogs for a living? Steve takes in over $120,000 year in donations! sitting around the house complaining that his spiritual life is a mess! Who here wants $100,000 a year for blogging in your pj's

      Delete
    3. another thing if Steve can't handle 4 years of Pope Francis, how's Steve gonna survive 35 years of coming chastisements promised by our Lady of La Salette? Or can you imagine Steve during the 3 1/2 reign of the Anti-Christ? LOL!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.