Wednesday, January 18, 2017

If I could turn back time ...

Cardinals showing homage to newly elected John XXIII.


I remember that of course.  Because I'm old.  I wrote to John XXIII when I was little.  He was the first Pope I ever wrote to.

Today I'm wishing I could have run away and gone to Rome to be an orphan and never grew up to what we have today.

I appreciated the cappas back then.  I love the worn fresco - it seems now the frescoes are the only thing restored in the Church.  It's ironic, isn't it.  Not a question.

"They" say Cardinal Spellman didn't like Pope John and disparaged him.  Nasty American.  He should be around today.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to imagine what the Church would be today without V2. The world changed. I doubt the Church would have remained the monolith we remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week it's very tempting to feel despondent. You are right though - change was inevitable.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.