Friday, January 27, 2017

Here's a 'real' iconographer.

Royal Doors for church in St. Petersburg.
The Ohrid Annunciation was Fr.'s model.
I just came across this today and regret I didn't 
see it before I began my 'painting' using the same model.
See Fr. Vladimir's process here.


Fr. Vladimir Lysak.

This man is a master.  He was actually 'ordained' by his Bishop as an iconographer.  His work is exquisite and Orthodox.  (You can see why I do not claim to make icons - I prayerfully paint icon style paintings, but I can't claim to be an iconographer.)

Father Vladimir (Lysak) is a priestmonk or hieromonk currently living in Grayson, Saskatchewan. A Graduate of St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary, in June, 1999, he travelled to New Valamo Monastery in Finland to study iconography; he was ordained an iconographer on December 7, 1999 by Archbishop SERAPHIM of the Archdiocese of Canada. In the six and a half years there, he studied with Bishop ARSENI, Auli Martiskainen, Slava Mihaelenko, Helena Nikkanen, Egon Sendler, Ulla Tschurbanoff, and Alexander Wikström. While in Finland, he also had the opportunity to study iconography at the Moscow Spiritual Academy School of Iconography with Natalia Aldoshina, Archimandrite Luka, and others. - Fr. Vladimir's website

Click here to see the process of making an icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.