Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Real O'Neals ... Why?


Noah Gavin of The Real O'Neals.
Gavin claimed the actor who plays the gay character 
Cam on Modern Family was
“playing a caricature … of a stereotype”.
Gavin himself is a caricature of a stereotype.

The Dan Savage Fantasy

No wonder morals are in the toilet if the family life, parish life, and Catholic school portrayed on The Real O'Neals is even close to reality.  Obviously it is exaggerated for comedic purposes, but it misses due to the over the top gayness portrayed - and the writing just sucks.  It's queer - in the original sense of the word.  The fact that it is on TV at all demonstrates network television has hit bottom - the characters in the show are all caricatures of a stereotype.  Last night, ABC filled prime time with a mini-marathon/promo, 2 hours of ideological propaganda.  I left the TV on, with the sound off, while I worked on a project, glancing up from time to time just to watch how far the show would go.

Same sex dating, dancing, crushes, kissing - all very tween-age fantasy stuff.  While every authority figure represented - parents, priest, teacher, nuns, classmates - though flawed themselves, are nonetheless all-approving and accepting and so happy over the joys of young gay life and love.  Catholic empty-headedness.  If that was Savage's experience growing up no wonder he turned out to be so contemptuous of authentic Catholic teaching.





6 comments:

  1. In light of the recent suicide of a 13 year old Catholic School boy in Statan Island I am speechless Terry. His note is heartbreaking and accuses adults in school of doing nothing and even enabling. Young boys are very vulnerable and some are very cruel. Bulling has and is a huge problem.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard about the suicide of a 13 year old. My apologies. I'll remove the post.

      Delete
    2. I edited it - but left the post up. The kid portrayed in the show is still totally obnoxious.

      Delete
    3. I just read the story - I had no idea - thanks for pointing this out.

      Delete
  2. I think you did the right thing by editing this post. Thank you. This sad story gets worse. It seems the school may have released a CPS report on the family and this boys sad life. I guess this is some kind of defense for their negligence. If I had a child in that school they would not return in September. This boy suffered humiliation at the hands of these "Catholic" educators. I would suggest he his not the only one. NYS has very clear anti bullying guidelines for schools. I hope this school is held accountable for whatever they did or did not do. My heart breaks for him and I pray for his soul. He needed someone to stand by him. This Catholic School failed him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a post on the case - it will post after midnight. It's heart breakingly sad. He needed someone - that is for sure. Thanks for telling me about this.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.