Thursday, July 21, 2016

Pieter Rabbinsky




The Orphaned Rabbit.

Earlier this week I encountered Peter, munching on a pot of petunias in my garden.  I watched him for a long time, wondering if he was one of the Rabbitowitz's kids - he seemed a bit ruddier than Mrs. R's offspring, although it was possible his coloring was simply a fluke of the gene pool.

"What's your name?" I asked quietly.

The rabbit stopped grazing, albeit still ruminating the blossoms in his exceptionally sweet little mouth, he starred ahead as if he were thinking.  Of course that's what rabbits do when they're discovered.  They pretend to be invisible, ready to spring upon any sudden movement from the potential predator standing above them.

"I know what you're doing there Peter - but I'm not going to hurt you or try to catch you - you are safe here."  Trying gently to encourage him to stay and even speak to me.

Surprised, the bunny turned to me, still chewing his salad, and asked incredulously, "How did you know my name?"  Suspiciously adding, "Why would you ask my name if you knew it already?"

I laughed realizing he was too young to understand that people always call bunnies Peter before they get to know them, because of the Peter Rabbit tales.  I didn't want him to know I was just being facetiously polite and really did not know his name, so I explained, "It was just a good guess! Now little fella, I suppose your last name has to be Rabbitowitz then?"

He looked at me quizzically, his ears bending every which way, apparently spelling the name back to himself ... 'R' .. 'a' .. 'b-b' .. 'i' .. 't'? ......'o'?!"  He stopped suddenly, stood on his haunches and proudly declared, "Oh no sir - I'm Pieter Rabbinsky!  My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great=great-great grandfather was the famous Russian composer Igor Rabbinsky!"

Little Pieter abruptly turned and hopped away in a huff.

"Another Russian rabbit?" I thought to myself.


Taken from "L'histoire du Lapin Russie"


10 comments:

  1. Oh ! So Cute ! Does Gabby get awfully jealous that you grow such wonderful food for all those rabbits from various families ?
    Think of how they speak of you Terry: with glowing words, eyes, at your generosity, how they appreciate the safety of your fenced in yard, the tenderness of the flowers and stalks ! You are such a good man !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby wants to play with them but she is very delicate and prone to picking up viruses - so she can't go out. But rabbits really have come right up to the door to say hi - I'm not making that up.

      Delete
    2. I believe you, & it is so sweet, that they come to the window to visit. Such a lovely image you give. You have your own peaceable kingdom....
      The rabbits I spy late at night - are Huge. Brown bodies, white everywhere else: whole families hop and stroll about. And you are right: they Do think that if they are still, they are invisible.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Terry, I think you have a future as a children's author. At least petunias are only annuals.

    We have a hummingbird in our garden. She (we think she's a she because of her coloring) gets very territorial if another hummingbird attempts to partake of the offerings in what must look to them like Hummingbird Buffet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm not consistent enough to be an author.

      I have Hummingbird(s) too - but they are so brightly colored I think they have to be males.

      Delete
  3. The rabbits have gone wild in our neighborhood and they are eating stuff they never ate before..I will refrain from adding what has been done to reestablish the balance of nature..luckily my dog does most of the heavy lifting. See now you are glad you don't live next door to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are supposed to do that - rabbits understand that.

      Delete
  4. "Dottie, do you drink?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On occasion Marjorie and I have a beer, but I'd hardly call that drinking.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.