Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Maureen Mullarkey - fired from First Things


I love her art though.

I've not read Mullarkey's essays - just the one in defense of the Manhattan church of Our Savior and the iconography which was in process of being removed this past year.  I agreed with her on that - otherwise I don't often read First Things and I have rarely read her stuff.

I love her art though.  I've been familiar with her paintings for a few years now, and she is one of the few contemporary female artists I really like and admire.

It's too bad she involved herself with religious people and writing conservative diatribes.  Maybe stick to painting.


(I didn't think the painter and the writer were the same Mullarkey.  Guess I was wrong.)


Never mind.

2 comments:

  1. You were right the first time. She is the same person. From First Things:

    "Maureen Mullarkey is a painter who writes on art and culture. Her essays have appeared in various publications, among them: The Nation, Crisis, Commonweal, Hudson Review, Arts, The New Criterion, First Things, The Weekly Standard, and The Magazine Antiques. She was a columnist for The New York Sun."

    http://www.firstthings.com/featured-author/maureen-mullarkey

    She is also a vicious critic of the Pope and all things post-Vatican II. Here is just one example of her opinion of the Holy Father written in January 2015:

    "But Francis is not a fool. He is an ideologue and a meddlesome egoist. His clumsy intrusion into the Middle East and covert collusion with Obama over Cuba makes that clear. Megalomania sends him galloping into geopolitical—and now meteorological—thickets, sacralizing politics and bending theology to premature, intemperate policy endorsements."

    http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/mullarkey/2015/01/francis-political-illusion

    And you wonder why First Things got rid of her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't wonder why they got rid of her - but I'm blown away by her criticism. I still like her paintings - but her critique of the pope is way over the top. I don't get it at all.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.