Saturday, April 18, 2015

The history of cross-dressing: First installment.

Kilts.
Mid-20th century menswear styles
 for girls and young women.

It began with the women.

As everyone knows, the 20th century fashion industry introduced manly dress for women.  It began with Coco Chanel of course, who took women out of unnatural, constraining under garments and into sheaths, shortened skirts, blouses, jackets - as well as pants.  Yet the more insidious changes occurred when the look of Scottish kilts was introduced, quickly adopted by Roman Catholic nuns to force their female students into such attire.  After all, the kilt and shorter skirt have always been male attire.

War and its consequences.
WWII radicalized women
even more.

7 comments:

  1. LOL! I never know what's going to greet me on on this blog and this topic is no exception! You have such a way of poking holes in theories and shedding the light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in a really nutty mood today. LOL! Thanks Ang!

      Delete
    2. LOL! I run across photos that crack me up and then figure out how to post them. I'm also just in a good mood.

      Delete
  2. Oh, would that we had had something kilt-ish in high school. At Dominican Academy we wore what were essentially USPS uniforms. Seriously. And don't even get me started with those awful pastel cord shirtwaists for summer. Ugh. I'd have killed for a kilt instead of those godawful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wore grey flat fronts, baby blue shirts with navy ties. I liked it.

      The girls wore navy jumpers and white blouses.

      I still had nuns in complete habits.

      Delete
  3. Oh, would that we had had something kilt-ish in high school. At Dominican Academy we wore what were essentially USPS uniforms. Seriously. And don't even get me started with those awful pastel cord shirtwaists for summer. Ugh. I'd have killed for a kilt instead of those godawful things.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.