Friday, September 19, 2014

Simple, Catholic Christianity... a few thoughts for the day...




The Lord greatly loves the repenting sinner and mercifully presses him to His bosom: "Where were you, My child? I was waiting a long time for you." The Lord calls all to Himself with the voice of the Gospel, and his voice is heard in all the world: "Come to me, my sheep. I created you, and I love you. My love for you brought Me to earth, and I suffered all things for the sake of your salvation, and I want you all to know my love, and to say, like the apostles on Tabor: Lord, it is good for us to be with You." (St. Silouan the Athonite, Writings, IX.27)

God will cleanse your sins if you yourself are dissatisfied with yourself and will keep on changing until you are perfect. (St. Augustine, Sermons on I John, I.7)

Whoever hates his sins will stop sinning; and whoever confesses them will receive remission. A man can not abandon the habit of sin if he does not first gain enmity toward sin, nor can he receive remission of sin without confession of sin. For the confession of sin is the cause of true humility.  (St. Isaac the Syrian, Homilies, 71)


To judge sins is the business of one who is sinless, but who is sinless except God? Who ever thinks about the multitude of his own sins in his heart never wants to make the sins of others a topic of conversation. To judge a man who has gone astray is a sign of pride, and God resists the proud. On the other hand, one who every hour prepares himself to give answer for his own sins will not quickly lift up his head to examine the mistakes of others. (St. Gennadius of Constantinople, The Golden Chain, 53-55)


A discerning man, when he eats grapes, takes only the ripe ones and leaves the sour. Thus also the discerning mind carefully marks the virtues which he sees in any person. A mindless man seeks out the vices and failings ... Even if you see someone sin with your own eyes, do not judge; for often even your eyes are deceived. (St. John of the Ladder, Ladder, 10.16-17)




Pope Francis really reminds me of the early Fathers.

Lord, I am in this world to show Your mercy to others. Other people will glorify You by making visible the power of Your grace by their fidelity and constancy to You. For my part I will glorify You by making known how good You are to sinners, that Your mercy is boundless and that no sinner no matter how great his offences should have reason to despair of pardon. If I have grievously offended You, My Redeemer, let me not offend You even more by thinking that You are not kind enough to pardon Me. Amen. - St. Claude de la Colombiere

"Ask grace,
not doctrine."

5 comments:

  1. I'm torn.

    As a parent with children in unfaithful Catholic schools, I had to tell them not to let themselves be scandalized by some of the evil things going on. I also fought with the principal.

    And that's the problem I have with some of these statements. Talking bout the sins of others for the "pleasure" it brings is one thing. Trying to protect the vulnerable from scandal is another.

    I guess I feel so strongly because my faith was damaged at a Catholic college and it's only by the grace of God that I returned after a brief exodus. Also, the scandals of the 60s (I was at Trinity in D.C. when Charlie Curran was spreading his poison at Catholic University against Humanae Vitae.) left me in confusion for several years. I guess that's why I hit today's scandals so hard. I don't want my children and grandchildren to be lost in the smog like I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gives me hope, Terry. Thank you. I'm sick of hearing about being admonished out of love ... I need to hear more about God's mercy, which is drawing me in to trust Him more (which I woefully lack). Nothing drives me further away from even the *desire* to pray than having to listen to well-intentioned family bang their *bleeping* drum ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A discerning man, when he eats grapes, takes only the ripe ones and leaves the sour. Thus also the discerning mind carefully marks the virtues which he sees in any person. A mindless man seeks out the vices and failings ... Even if you see someone sin with your own eyes, do not judge; for often even your eyes are deceived."

    If I am to remain faithful, alert and at peace, then I too, must dismiss the many sour grapes to be found online especially on Catholic blogs . I am at fault too since I have fallen and squabbled many times over but I am on my way out of such a way as I desire not to be distracted anymore.

    Your post is very consoling to me, Terry. I relate to it and am grateful to you for sharing it.

    I especially think and pray for our Holy Father these days. His faith is so strong. A faithful witness to the ever faithful mercy of God our Heavenly Father.

    "Lord, truly, it is good to be here with you"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspired post... :)

    ReplyDelete