Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fired Minnesota gay music director Jamie Moore hires attorney... NOT!

Garrett Manzi and Jamie Moore
UPDATE 9/28/14:*

Jamie Moore, who was music director at St. Victoria for more than 17 years before he quit at the request of church leaders, decided Friday not to pursue legal action against Archbishop John Nienstedt, according to his former lawyer.

“I think he was in a very good position to challenge the termination because of the reason that was given and that was marital status,” Clayton Halunen said Sunday, explaining that Minnesota churches are allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation but not on marital status.

“I’m very disappointed in the decision,” Halunen added. “I think if had we had a favorable result ..... it would have helped many others in the LGBT community to preserve their employment if they choose to get married.”

Moore has not spoken publicly about his dismissal and could not be reached Sunday. - KAREN ZAMORA , Star Tribune Updated: September 28, 2014 

H/T Rick Notch




* * *
Original Post


I don't get it.

He seemed so gracious upon receiving the Archbishop's request that he resign his position:

"I'm not surprised. I'm sad and I was hopeful that I could continue in my career at St. Victoria but it wasn't a surprise. I've known since I started at St. Victoria in February of 1997 that this could be a possibility at some point," Moore said Wednesday night in an interview.
Jamie has to leave because he married his long-time partner, Garrett, last weekend.
When Archbishop Nienstedt got wind of it he called for Jamie's resignation.
"It's against Catholic Church teaching to be a partnered gay man, it is also very much against Catholic Church teaching to marry that man," Jamie said knowing this was a likely outcome. - Source
Call in the lawyers.
A music director who was asked by a Catholic church in Victoria, Minn., to resign after marrying his longtime partner has now hired the attorney who represented former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe on discrimination issues. 
Minneapolis attorney Clayton Halunen* said Friday that he was retained by Jamie Moore after St. Victoria Catholic Church asked Moore to resign following his wedding last weekend to his longtime partner. 
On Friday, Moore was still listed on the St. Victoria directory, but Halunen said Moore has resigned as requested. He declined to comment any further and said Moore would not be available for comment. 
However, he told Fox 9 News on Thursday that he’s preparing to sue Archbishop John Nienstedt for “aiding and abetting discrimination,” adding that Moore was fired not because he was gay but because he married. Halunen said Minnesota churches are allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation but not on marital status. - Source

That was quick.

Jamie Moore knew he could be terminated or asked to resign if he married his partner - or as he stated: "I've known since I started at St. Victoria in February of 1997 that this could be a possibility at some point."

I was hoping he would simply walk away.  


Ka-ching!


 To learn more on Wrongful Termination Law, go here.


*Prayers have been answered - Jamie Manzi-Moore is not suing.




h/t Ray

12 comments:

  1. Terry, the real evil reared its head...lawyers! I think you have ambulance chaser correct, I am sure he got a call from this guy who filled his head with dollar signs.

    I have to agree with you, I think its odd that anyone would work for an institution who you know could fire you for something like this and who at best "tolerates," you. I love going to Mass but forget the rest of being "involved."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed the ambulance chaser bit because I thought I was being too snarky. What I think is going on is twofold - an attempt to force a change in policy and accommodate gay marriage, and put more pressure on the embattled Archbishop. The settlement money pays for the wedding.

      Delete
    2. I think the ambulance chaser was right on target. As for the rest, who knows. I never want to go to a party where I am not welcome so I would just tell em to go to hell and move on. Maybe this guy really wants to be a part of this Church and its life. I feel sorry for him but think he is deluded to do so.

      I do think, from a distance that your embattled Archbishop makes many problems for himself..he needs a good p.r. team.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Me thinks Minnesota and Montana got caught in bed together and now that the gato's out of the bag well, it's "let's sue em time."

      Sorry, but I am moving on too since I do not get the program these folks live by but I will be praying for all involved especially for our bishops and priests. Terry, I want to be compassionate but I am angry that these guys who at first stated they "knew it was possible they could get fired" are now crying foul and with a lawyer no less.

      Whatever...I already know that truth prevails no matter how hard the arm twisting is gonna be applied.

      Perdon! I should know better but well since there is no edit button...<3

      Delete
    5. No problem. I was miffed too - now I realize it's how things are going to be from now on. God bless - keep the faith!

      Delete
  2. --
    I always appreciate the brilliance of evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out the guy hasn't resigned and the focus of the lawsuit will be on Nienstedt and employer discrimination against marital status.

      Delete
    2. Catholic music director will not sue Nienstedt
      Article by: KAREN ZAMORA , Star Tribune Updated: September 28, 2014 - 5:40 PM

      Jamie Moore was forced from post at St. Victoria after his same-sex marriage.
      The forced resignation of Catholic church music director who married his longtime same-sex partner apparently won’t be challenged in court.

      Jamie Moore, who was music director at St. Victoria for more than 17 years before he quit at the request of church leaders, decided Friday not to pursue legal action against Archbishop John Nienstedt, according to his former lawyer.

      “I think he was in a very good position to challenge the termination because of the reason that was given and that was marital status,” Clayton Halunen said Sunday, explaining that Minnesota churches are allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation but not on marital status.

      “I’m very disappointed in the decision,” Halunen added. “I think if had we had a favorable result ..... it would have helped many others in the LGBT community to preserve their employment if they choose to get married.”

      Moore has not spoken publicly about his dismissal and could not be reached Sunday.

      Delete
    3. Rick - thanks very much. I'm happy to hear this - God bless Jamie.

      Delete
    4. I copied your update at the top of the post Rick. That is such good news for all concerned.

      Delete
  3. Policy manual for the win! - church policy also states that an employee can be immediately discharged for conduct “inconsistent with the faith, morals, teachings and laws of the Catholic Church.”

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.