Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's really important...



Thoughts for the Vigil of the feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
"For I have often heard that it is more safe to hear and to take counsel than to give it.
It may also happen that each one's thought may be good; but to refuse to yield to others, when reason or a just cause requires it, is a sign of pride and willfulness." - Imitation of Christ, Bk. I, Chp. 9:3
Pope Benedict on St. Benedict.

A reading from Magnificat for the feast of St. Benedict struck me, and held my attention since I read it...

"[T]he three fundamental temptations of every human being:  the temptation of self affirmation and the desire to put oneself at the center, the temptation of sensuality and, lastly, the temptation of anger and revenge... " - Benedict XVI

The Holy Father was discussing the three years solitude Benedict spent at Sacro Speco - a time of testing and purification - wrestling with the fundamental temptations of man.



My prayer for the last day of the novena to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

"Let whoever is simple turn in here; to him who lacks understanding, I say, Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed.  Forsake foolishness that you may live, advance in the way of understanding." - Proverbs 9
Send forth Wisdom from your holy heavens
and from your glorious throne dispatch her
that she may be with me and work with me,
that I may know what is your pleasure.
For she knows and understands all things,
and will guide me discreetly in my affairs
and safeguard me by her glory. - Wisdom 9

2 comments:

  1. Now THAT'S excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! And I copied some to reflect on when praying. Thanks again, Terry!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.