Saturday, April 26, 2014

Prophetic Prayer of Pius XII to Our Lady of Good Counsel




Prayer
.
Holy Virgin, moved by the painful uncertainty we experience in seeking and acquiring the true and the good, we cast ourselves at thy feet and invoke thee under the sweet title of Mother of Good Counsel. We beseech thee: come to our aid at this moment in our worldly sojourn when the twin darknesses of error and of evil that plots our ruin by leading minds and hearts astray.
.
Seat of Wisdom and Star of the Sea, enlighten the victims of doubt and of error so that they may not be seduced by evil masquerading as good; strengthen them against the hostile and corrupting forces of passion and of sin.
.
Mother of Good Counsel, obtain for us from thy Divine Son the love of virtue and the strength to choose, in doubtful and difficult situations, the course agreeable to our salvation. Supported by thy hand we shall thus journey without harm along the paths taught us by the word and example of Jesus our Savior, following the Sun of Truth and Justice in freedom and safety across the battlefield of life under the guidance of thy maternal Star, until we come at length to the harbor of salvation to enjoy with thee unalloyed and everlasting peace. Amen.
(By Pope Pius XII, 23 January 1953)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful prayer, and yes, so applicable. I love the Mother of Good Counsel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful painting, isn't it? I've read the fascinating story behind it. You might like/appreciate it too. It's said to be very miraculous to have devotion to her, though I've received several wonderful miracles from praying the Rosary to Our Lady of Guadalupe, (friends for my one daughter, financial-anxieties, etc.), actually. She's the same Blessed Mother but with all different and beautiful titles and "invocations".

      Delete
  2. I remember once having to make a presentation to a CMU group at my local parish church named after Our Lady of Good Counsel. On the afternoon of the day I was due to give the talk, I still hadn’t prepared anything and was becoming very apprehensive.

    Later, someone rang me to say they were having a Mass said for me that evening (out of the kindness of their heart and not because they were aware of what I was doing later.) I was touched by this surprising call and I asked the person who lived 40 miles away where the Mass was being offered. He mentioned the town and the name of the church – which was Our Lady of Good Counsel. :)

    The presentation, still unprepared, was well received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, thanks for this prayer. I am including it in the pocket Moleskine journal prayer book in which I have been collecting prayers over time. This is as timely today as when it was inspired.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.