Monday, January 06, 2014

Monsignor Pope has a blog post on what the Pope said about Monsignors ...

I think his website must have crashed, because I keep getting: The page cannot be displayed.



I wonder if his site has crashed due to all the traffic from priests and seminarians?

Or maybe it's just the cold weather?

The title of monsignor is simply honorary, isn't it?  Perhaps it really is more fitting for a priest 65 and older?



Locally, we do not have many monsignors, evidently the title is more widely used on the East Coast and elsewhere.

Although, while searching online, I came across an Old Catholic site and it appears most of their local priests have the title of monsignor - not that it means anything.

I know two of the Old Catholic monsignors.  One was a permanent deacon in the Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minnesota.  I've known him since childhood.  His 'rectory' and 'church' is an apartment in Downtown St. Paul.  The sad thing about these monsignors is that Roman Catholics think there is no difference between these guys and validly/licitly ordained Roman Catholic priests.  My Italian in-laws hire the Old Catholic monsignor to say Mass and lead Italian style processions at their annual festival.  They don't know the difference.  But I digress.



Clearly, the title of monsignor is very often seen as a reward for service.  It's an honorary title.  Sort of like a cappa magna - which is always removed before Mass begins.  Traditions with a small 't'.




 Editor's note:  I finally got through to Monsignor's post - it is well worth the read.  Go here.
 

9 comments:

  1. There is a priest in my Archdiocese that insist to be addressed Msgr. and not Fr. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been impressed with titles.

      Delete
  2. I think Msgr. Pope is one of the finest Catholic bloggers. He seems to be a dedicated and faithful priest. If anyone is deserving of an honor, I'd think it would be him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is a very good priest.

      Delete
  3. Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson received the title when he was 40--probably because he was a famous convert and writer. His End Times classic, Lord of the World, is a favorite among trads, but even Pope Francis likes it. Other than a few royalist passages, it's a pitch-perfect book. Many think it's prophetic, and if so, then it was the Holy Spirit working against the stated intentions of the author.

    I prefer his fiction to his contemporary, Chesterton. Some other good books by Benson that can be found free online: A Mirror of Shalott (short ghost stories), The Necromancers (about possession following a seance), and Come Rack, Come Rope (priest-hunting in Elizabethan England--enjoyed the first half then lost interest).

    Also, count me in for the Monsignor Pope love-in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those titles sound wonderful. Will be hoping to read them all. Thanks much.

      Another vote for Monsignor Pope. <3 I like his reflections and admire his honesty. He is one of the few who deserves the title indeed.

      Delete
    2. And his photo in the regalia shown on his blog is just the way a monsignor should look! Very manly and rather saintly, if you ask me.

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed. My other favorite monsignor is the quiet Italian who is always at Papa Francesco's side. I am so grateful he kept him on. When I see them together, I sense a holy bond of trust between them. It gives me great comfort. ^^

      Delete
  4. I always invite Msgr. Pope in my parish every year to give a day of recollection either during Lent or Advent.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.