Friday, July 12, 2013

el viejo



The old man and the See...

Evidently Pope Francis affectionately refers to Pope Benedict as 'el viejo'.
Argentine journalist Jorge Milia recounts that in their phone conversation, Pope Francis spoke endearingly about Pope Benedict, whom he calls "el viejo" -- literally, "the old man," but a term that carries with it affection and respect. 
"Today I was with el viejo, and we talked a lot. It's a pleasure for me to exchange ideas with him.... You can’t imagine the humility and wisdom of this man,” the pope told me. 
“Well, then keep him close to you,” I replied. 
“I wouldn't even consider giving up the counsel of a person like this, it would be foolish on my part!” 
Milia tells Francis that people view him as more approachable than his predecessor, and that Francis gives the impression that people can come up and speak to him. The pope replies: 
“And why not? Certainly, they should be able to do that! It’s my duty to listen to them, to pray with them, to hold their hands so they feel that they’re not alone.” 
But the pope adds that not everyone around him at the Vatican can easily accept this.
“It’s not easy, Jorge, here there are many ‘masters’ (padroni) of the pope, and with a lot of seniority in years of service.”
The pope went on to say that every change he’s introduced so far has cost him great effort. He said the most difficult battle was in maintaining some management of his own agenda of activities, instead of having it imposed on him. For that reason, he said, he chose not to live in the formal papal apartment, because many popes have become “prisoners” of their secretaries. 
“I am the one who decides who to see, not my secretaries…. Sometimes I cannot see who I’d like, because I need to see who asks for me.” - John Thavis



He remains a free man.



First seen at Deacon's Bench.

7 comments:

  1. Amazing. Thanks for the glimpse, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and informative. Thanks. I also think it wise for Francis to live and eat amongst people, as I suspect that there may be one or two who might like to introduce some unhealthy ingredient into his food if he were to live, and eat, in isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I want to be pope when I grow up.

    What?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I even want to grow up; I'm becoming much too serious :)

      Delete
  4. I have to admire the Pope's independence from the Vatican bureaucracy; and since he seems determined to be a reformer, it seems wise for him to live in St. Martha's House for a number of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:48 PM

    [Terry, my first comment seemed to have disappeared].

    Bravo on the sub-heading: old man and the see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where it is either. But thanks - it was the first thing that came to mind.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.