Thursday, April 25, 2013

Saint Mark, the first Pope of Alexandria and the founder of Christianity in Africa.



St. Mark was the first Bishop/Patriarch to be called Pope.  I never knew that. 

I'm not sure what color shoes he wore though. 

As evangelist, his symbol is the winged lion, so he's sort of a patron saint of cats.  And Venice too - because the Venetians stole his relics from Alexandria and made up a story about it. - Breviary of What

I was in Venice once.  Only for a couple of days though. 

Art: From the Book of Hours of the Countess De Gooch

3 comments:

  1. The Venetians finally gave back the stolen and smuggled relics of St. Mark to the Coptic Orthodox Church in 1968, an exchange arranged by the Catholic Church

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No relics to venerate when our pilgrimage travel to Venice this coming October?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venice is awash with relics of St Gondola, patron saint of city waterways and canals. Mark my word.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.