Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Is it a sign? Black smoke after the first ballot.



You all knew that anyway...

I had a thought on it, but I can't say what it was...

I also removed my last post because it was inappropriate for the first day of the Conclave.  A kind friend let me know that.  I should have known better.

So I'm tapping my fingers on what kind of post I can do so that people will remember I'm not a nice man... you know, because I've been so nice lately.

Then I came upon the photo shown above, of Marini kicking everyone out of the Conclave.  'This is it!'  I thought.  I can critique the clothes.  No harm in that.

The vestment Monsignor Guido Marini is wearing is one that I dislike the most in ecclesial wear - aside from the cappa magna of course.  I hate that sleeveless coat thing - especially on shorter, stouter prelates.

I think it is called the chimere.
The chimere is a sleeveless gown, usually of red, but sometimes of black material of quality and derived from the Spanish word "Zammarvia" that means "riding cloak." It is an upper robe of a Bishop. This garment serves as a symbol of the mantle of a prophet. The chimere is only worn by the Bishop because it signifies him as chief proclaimer and defender of the faith in the apostolic tradition.
 
Now I'm thinking it is really the mantelletta.

The mantelletta, while formerly worn by all bishops and some of the monsignori, is now only used by the seven protonotaries apostolic de numero. It is a short, violet mantle with slits for the arms, worn over the rochet and choir cassock. - source
 
I dislike them both.
 
 
 
 

"Don't mention the war palazzo story, I did, but I think I got away with it."





What?
 
 



 
 Here's an interesting link on ancient Roman clothing.

13 comments:

  1. Well,the black smoke did 2 things

    One it put an early end to the debate of whether or not the Cardinals were actually going to vote, because voting to day is optional. It was nice to know that those poor souls suffering in the cold and wet could go home. They had two answers 1) yes they voted 2) no pope yet

    And the second thing is it confirms that the cardinals have figured out how to use the stove

    To borrow from you: What?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I like that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you hate such vestments. They have been used for centuries and indicate rank. Maybe sometime you can explain your hatred of these traditional vestments of Holy Mother Church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn it, I always miss the good posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Unknown above was me. I finally figured out how to post non-anonymously though.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're an absolute hoot, Terry. I love your blog, your posts, your humility (don't let that go to your head!), your gentle digs at Fr. Z., your brutally honest introspection and commentary on pop culture. Just keep being you, and keep posting for as long as you can stand it.

    But what is wrong with the cappa magna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you used Bea Arthur in one of HER long vest-things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cappamagna is just so over the top. Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Cappamagna (literally the great cape) was made so that it would cover the back end of a horse. And I agree it looks stupid without the requisite horse

    I could say more, but that's enough to start with the jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy the reactions to posts like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The outfit above does smack of maternity lingerie. I applaud Paul VI for limiting that costume to a handful of Vatican prelates; it used to be ubiquitous. It all has its place, of course...in movies starring Fernando Rey. But I'm not sure how appropriate such get-ups are on men who are supposed to remind us of Jesus Christ.

    Perhaps Paul VII will come along and exorcise the rest of the Victoria's Secret catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. James! How irreverent! But that is it - maternity-wear - that's exactly what it reminds me of. ;)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.