Friday, February 22, 2013

Conclave drama: "Evidently something has been leaked regarding the results of the Vatileaks investigation carried out by the three cardinals."




Blackmail...

A commenter asked: "I wonder, of what would the blackmail consist?"
"If you don't do x, I will publicize that you are having wild sex orgies."
"But what is x?"

Money and power, according to Moynihan's report: "Apparently there is even talk of some curial officials being blackmailed..."


Blackmail... what is it?  "Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information."
 
What could one possibly gain besides money or power?  I have some suggestions.
 
Twenty Two plus one Reasons for Blackmailing Naughty Churchmen
  1. Control.  I want you to do what I say.  Bark like a dog.
  2. Lobby for gay marriage, gay rights.
  3. Lobby to relax the rules on marriage and divorce.
  4. Lobby for more liberal teaching on contraceptives.
  5. Promotion - the culprit wants to be ordained bishop and given a nice diocese.
  6. Ordination.  The guy with all the impediments wants to be ordained a priest.
  7. I'd like a nice condo in Rome.  Get it for me.
  8. My sister needs an annulment - push it through.  In fact I may start an annulment business and I need a guarantee of success.
  9. I want my mother and dad to have a private audience with the pope.
  10. Indulgences.
  11. Promote women's ordination, married priesthood.
  12. Art and antiques.
  13. Grant Basilica status for my parish.
  14. Papal seal of approval for my product.
  15. Permission to do whatever I want, live where I want.  (For a priest)
  16. Get on the A-list for social events.
  17. Access to important personages in the Holy See.
  18. Win all the bids for work to be done inside the Vatican.
  19. Canonization of my cat.
  20. Push for the destruction of the SSPX, or its promotion.
  21. Ban the traditional Mass, or not.
  22. Let Cardinals wear ermine again.
  23. Money, money, money.


"How 'bout rights to use
'Catholic' in my business name?
Along with endorsements?"


 

7 comments:

  1. Ah, that all makes sense, except for number 18. Only dogs and birds from the Order of Pets may be canonized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. balthasar12:41 PM

    There's been lots of talk for at least two years in trad or trad-leaning circles about a "German faction," some going as specific as to say the "Schonborn faction," applying pressure to the Pope or to others at the top of the curia for 1,2,3,4,5,17,19.

    Not sure if I believe in it, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:56 PM

    St. Guinefort, blessed art thou amongst thy canines...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Terry, I laughed out loud (once again) at Mr. Donahue! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:15 PM

    23. Medj. is real

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bingo, Terry!

    Unfortunately, even my own home town secular newspaper is now saying it dossier is *the* reason for Pope Benedict's decision to step down, which I think is false.

    Let's look at it from another angle. Taking him at his word, as I think we should, that he is losing strength, can you imagine what would happen behind the scenes if he were bed-ridden for a long time? Just think about the kinds of power-plays that would take place behind stage.

    Reportedly, the Pope has given the green light for the trio of Cardinals doing the investigation to brief the conclave members so they would know what the next man is going to have to deal with. If true, I think that is a good thing.

    I don't think he's stepping down because of this. I think it may have contributed, especially if he didn't feel he could physically meet the challenge. We're not talking about a 6 month cleanup. That's a mess that will take at least a decade if not several.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane - thanks - I agree with you. I also think you meant this to be posted on the entry. ;)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.