Thursday, January 24, 2013

Update on Fr. Tom Donovan


“an indefinite leave of absence"

My sincere apologies for jumping to conclusions when I posted about the priest who made a 911 call after he had become inextricably trapped in a pair of hand cuffs under circumstances his therapist describes as “non-sexual self-bondage.”

One hears so many strange stories these days, especially concerning the unusual recreations of some men who simply like to dress up.  No accounting for eccentricities, I guess.  My apologies.

Bishop Paprocki announced that Fr. Donovan will be taking “an indefinite leave of absence for an extended period of professional help and spiritual renewal.”   The Bishop explained, Fr. Donovan  “is suffering from a psychological condition that manifests itself in self-bondage as a response to stress.”

I can believe that.

Though many people associate bondage with sexual behavior, Bishop Paprocki stated, “He (Donovan) insisted that he had been alone the whole time of this incident and denied that there was any sexual component to this.” - Read the entire story here.

I can believe that.


Fr. Donovan is also a member of Illinois Air National Guard and chaplain for the Peoria-based 182nd Airlift Wing.

I'm not saying another word.



Hello? Hello?
 

6 comments:

  1. Don't Ask Don't Tell, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother."

    Oh noes. Christmas is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the love of Pete, is there anyone in the priesthood who doesn't have some kind of crazy ass fetish or hangup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think someone once said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." There may be some out there who are qualified rock throwers, but I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't that someone mean by that not to judge other's souls? I think we can still label actions as objectively bad, or weird, or dysfunctional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? And risk injuring someone's poor psyche?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.