Thursday, January 03, 2013

The men who teach in the Catholic Church.



Just a comment...

Yesterday I was reading the resumes of some of the best men in my archdiocese, the men who form our priests - their resumes are posted on the seminary website.  In researching a story, I also came across the names of some of the top Cardinals, Bishops, Monsignors and priests on the boards of institutes of formation, amongst the faculties of seminaries, on the staff of chanceries and so on.  Good, good men.  Faithful, solid men.  Most likely very holy men - I once read that a bishop is supposedly in the 'unitive way'.  I normally do not pay attention to such credentials, but it made me stop and think.  These are men with degrees and accomplishments and service longer than the longest cappa magna.  These are ordained men:  Men who have been actually appointed as teachers and pastors in the Church - canonically appointed in their vocation.

And yet we traipse around the Internet following religious personalities, clerical celebrities, as well as dubious mystics with messages of supernatural phenomenon and private opinion, as if these speak 'ex-cathedra' for the Sacred Magisterium of the Church.  

We can't even discern if the translation of a foreign news story on what the Pope actually said is accurate.  How often do blogs and Internet news portals sow doubt and confusion online?   What is the source of all the conflict in the com boxes?

Don't go to strangers. 

Support your bishops and parish priests.  As the Rule of St. Benedict says: "Thou hast placed men over our heads."

Works for me.

5 comments:

  1. Amen, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite apt, from Mark Shea:

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2013/01/the-difference-between-real-pastors.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merc - thanks - I just read it - Mark said what I wanted to.

    It makes me want to blow my blog up since I know over the years I've been less than charitable to some in the hierarchy - mea culpa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Cough*Cult of Shea*cough*

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.