Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pro-Life from the start: Cardinal O'Malley



It doesn't matter when you got on board, it just matters that you are on board.

Some people are joining the March for Life for the first time this year, while taking pot shots at those who have so far never participated - publicly, waving flags and banners.  One might ask the questioner, 'where were you before?' - but the March is not a competition, nor a time to be applauded for one's commitment or personal role or achievement, rather it is time to join together for the cause of LIFE!

That said, Cardinal O'Malley has been there since he was a young priest:
Where were you when the Supreme Court handed down the decision in Roe v. Wade?
 
I was a young priest working with Hispanic immigrants in Washington, D.C. Later on, after the ruling, I heard that Nellie Gray wanted to start the March for Life, and I contacted her and worked with her.
 
She was a real prophet: The Church was stunned, and people didn’t know how to react. But she knew immediately that we needed to mobilize and use the anniversary of that terrible decision as a way to rally people.
 
I was determined to get people from my Hispanic parish to the first march [in 1974] and gave impassioned sermons on the pro-life issue, reminding them that the anniversary was coming soon, and they promised to come.
 
The morning of the march, there was a line of rented buses at the church, but no people. In my naive youthfulness, I did not realize that "Si, padre" did not mean "Yes." The following week, I told the people how disappointed I was.
 
After Mass, they told me, "You know we are undocumented. And in our own countries, whenever there is a demonstration, the army comes out and arrests and shoots people. We are here to send money home to our families who live in Nicaragua and El Salvador, where civil wars are raging. We cannot afford to do this."
 
I told them that the army would not shoot at them and that the march would be a peaceful demonstration. That is what we do in a democracy where we need to witness to certain values. - NCRegister
 
The question today should not be, "Where were you then?  Where are you/they today?"  or "Will CHA have a banner in the March for Life?"  But rather, "Will you please come on board and support life?" 
 
Let's get over our sectarianism and divisiveness...
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, he's personally very pious. Unfortunately, as Cardinal of a large diocese, he surrounds himself with pro-abortion, pro-Obama management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Alexandria during the Clinton Administration (and an active part of the gay community), I belonged to a group called PLAGAL (Pro-Life Alliance of Gays and Lesbians). We had our banner and tried marching w/the group at large, and held a spot on a corner on the way to the Hart Senate Building at one point. Then we got spit on repeatedly by the other pro-lifers. How nice. I've never been back. But I applaud the work that continues - no matter who shows up to support us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this happens, as well. Yet one more reason I refuse to be part of the movement, which is entirely political.

      Delete
  3. I thought if it could be more like Woodstock we could change the world.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.