Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas is coming...



"Christmas is coming, Terry.  Christmas is coming!"

Years ago one of my bosses said that to me during a remodel project I was in charge of - something had to be done yesterday for him and apparently I didn't get it done.  I looked at him rather puzzled after he said that to me - his nose about an inch away from my own, and since it was the middle of August and we weren't working on Christmas, I asked quizzically and completely sincerely, "It is?"  Which pissed him off even more since he thought I was being defiant and sarcastic.  Story of my life.

Anyway - this year Christmas doesn't interest me very much - the trappings of Christmas, I should say.  This year Christmas and Christmas activities and decor and even traditions have no effect upon me.  By this time - heck, by Halloween, I am usually busy making or painting something, or decorations are going up and I'm getting all excited.  Not interested. 

So anyway - what I think I'll do is post more sad things, more depressing thoughts this year for the holidays.  That can be kind of 'fun' too - don't you think?  Like the story I just told of how my VP got so angry with me and didn't find me adorable because I was so naive and sincere and obviously a wonderful man.

So yeah - I'll try to post at least one really sad Christmas story every day this Advent season - that way maybe we will be able to discover the true meaning of Christmas and have a little more empathy for those people who are more depressed than we are.  Anyway - I won't publish any pious story or Christmas tale just to fill in for each day.  Everything will be real and therefore miserably sad.

6 comments:

  1. Lookin' forward to it, Ter.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry Nelson, the Ghost of Christmas Passed.

    Can't wait.

    So will this be your blog spokesperson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Advent... a time of JOYFUL expectation!

    I happened to read this passage today, written by Henri Nouwen.

    “Our emotional lives move up and down constantly. Sometimes we experience great mood swings from excitement to depression, from joy to sorrow, from inner harmony to inner chaos. A little event, a word from someone, a disappointment in work, many things can trigger such mood swings. Mostly we have little control over these changes. It seems they happen to us rather than being created by us.

    “Thus it is important to know that our emotional life is not the same as our spiritual life. Our spiritual life is the life of the Spirit of God within us. As we feel our emotions shift we must connect our spirits with the Spirit of God and remind ourselves that what we feel is not who we are. We are and remain, whatever our moods, God’s beloved children.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. huzzah! i live for melancholia. let the depression commence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. honeybee2:12 PM

    "I won't publish any pious story or Christmas tale..."

    Then, why oh why, dear Terry, do you have a photo reminding us of that horrible, horrible movie, "It's A Wonderful Life"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:30 PM

    Hi Terry -

    Sorry you are feeling unmotivated by Christmas this year. I will miss your Christmas stories, especially the one about the cat who visited Our Lady on Christmas.

    Maybe it is just too early in the season - when the big day approaches, I hope you feel joyful.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.