Monday, October 17, 2011

Bottom feeders?



"The children of this world, surely, were wiser than the children of light."
.
"How would I survive among them? For them nothing existed beyond this material world and this moment.  They survived because they learned how to survive.  They were masters at the art of survival.  Outside the bounds of civilized behaviour or conscience, they preyed upon anyone weaker than themselves and revenged themselves upon society by crimes of violence and theft.  In their view, society owed them something.  So they took it.  Simple as that.
.
As I lived with men like these during the long years in the prison camps, I slowly learned that such initial impressions were not altogether accurate.  Little by little, I came to understand that underneath their violent exterior and twisted moral code these criminals were men, too; men driven by fear, perhaps more so than other men, but still men nonetheless.  [...]  Understanding all of this in later years never led me to accept or condone their actions in any way, but I did learn to pity them as human beings even as I feared them for what they were and what they might do...
.
The children of this world were dedicated to surviving this life by whatever method possible.  I too must be totally dedicated, but with an added dimension.  I must not seek to avoid hardships or to soften their impact.  I must see in them the will of God and through them work out my salvation." - Fr. Walter Ciszek, He Leadeth Me, In Transit
.
"The greatest grace God can give a man is to send him a trial he cannot bear with his own powers - and then sustain him with his grace so he may endure to the end and be saved." - Fr. Ciszek
.
Art: Nikolai Getman

5 comments:

  1. Those are some great quotes, Terry, and doubtlessly apply to what we've been talking about (Did you get my e-mail, btw?). And I think we need to understand those who live in depravity and violence before we rashly judge them - not condone, but understand.

    But what about the middle-class college kids in Che Guevara t-shirts who support violent revolution? Or Che himself? Or all the potheads who are like, socially engaged, man?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandra Petri wrote in Saturday's Washington Post that Che Guevara is the patron saint of those unwilling to wear blank T-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not long ago I read Father Walter Ciszek's book, " With God in Russia".

    It was one of the most incredible stories of grace given in a trial no man could endure. I could barely read about it no less endure it.

    There is a prayer league for the cause of his canonization.

    http://www.ciszek.org/Cannonization.html

    +

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The greatest grace God can give a man is to send him a trial he cannot bear with his own powers - and then sustain him with his grace so he may endure to the end and be saved." - Fr. Ciszek

    I have to pinch this for my blog. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry, where/ more importantly HOW did you find this image?

    It strikes me at a thousand levels....

    Can you email me your response? Please?

    I really want to know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.