Saturday, May 22, 2010

Stylite Saints


Suddenly I see...
.
Ever since I watched - and re-watch over and over - Bunel's Simon of the Desert, my interest in stylites and the wisdom of the desert fathers has been revived.  Yesterday I painted a small canvas in the icon style of Simeon the Stylite.  I completed it in 2 1/2 hours - I only mention it because real icons take so much longer.  It's fun to paint without following any rules.  I'll post it on the art blog after I photo it.  I think I may do a serious icon one of these days.  First I want to do The Ladder Of Monks (John Climacus) but with modern devils.
.
St. Simeon:
He says that everyone who is isolated
From their neighbor sits on a high pillar,
And all who are angry with their brother
Stand solitary and alone on a high column.
- Soliloquy of Saint Simeon Stylites the Younger 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.