Monday, May 31, 2010

Blessed Pierina di Micheli

Mother Maria Pierina di Micheli was beatified this past weekend at the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome.  I had heard of Mother Pierina when I was younger, and became interested in her because of her devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus.  My devotion to the Holy Face was first inspired by the Carmelites who introduced me to the revelations of Sr. Marie of St. Pierre, the French Carmelite who promoted the devotion to Veronica's Veil.  It seems to me this devotion remains very much necessary in our day.
.
 *CNA 
Mother Maria Pierina De Micheli was beatified in Rome on Sunday. Although the Pope was not present at the rite, after the Angelus he commended her for her "extraordinary devotion" to the Holy Face of Christ.

.
The beatification ceremony, presided over by the prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, Archbishop Angelo Amato, took place on Trinity Sunday at the Basilica of St. Mary Major.*
.
"I firmly wish that my face reflecting the intimate pains
of my soul, the suffering and love of my heart, be more
honoured! Whoever gazes upon me already consoles me."

4 comments:

  1. don't know if it's serendipity or what, but i've been drawn to contemplate the face of Christ more since advent and through my lenten reading (st. faustina's diary). i've got a copy of the face of the shroud of turin on my desktop at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madre Pierina's family name is DE MICHELI, not de Michaeli.

    I say Mass regularly for his Sisters in the chapel containing her remains, and I concelebrated yesterrday at her beatificaiton in St. Mary Major.

    Quote from the Holy Father after the Angelus yesterday: "Stamani, a Roma, nella Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, è stata celebrata la beatificazione di Maria Pierina De Micheli, Religiosa dell’Istituto delle Figlie dell’Immacolata Concezione di Buenos Aires." (Vatican website)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Father - I corrected the spelling. Please commend me to her intercession if you will, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Let Your Face shine upon us, O Lord, and we shall be saved!"
    Love the Holy Face!
    Thanks, Terry.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.