Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Mythological Trickster

And other things post-Christian neo-pagans misunderstand...
.
Thoughts and reflections from a progressive Catholic perspective:
.
The Roman Catholic pyramid is imploding under the weight of its own corrupt and dysfunctional clerical system.  All the more reason then for Catholics to start conversing about ways of being Church that actually emulate the gospel of Jesus and offer the world a radiant and inviting sign of God’s compassion, wisdom, and justice.
.
A fellow progressive Roman Catholic recently told me that he doesn’t feel compelled to be part of the upcoming Synod of the Baptized being planned by the Catholic Coalition for Church Reform as he feels it’s basically a waste of energy. He’d rather work “under the radar” of the hierarchy within his parish community as together they quietly dissent from various official positions and be for one another and the people they serve in the wider community, a more Christ-like presence than that which they see the “official” Church embodying.
.
And the clerical leadership of this “official” Church?
.
“Oh, I have no time to worry about trying to reform that part of the Church,” my friend said. “Why bother? It’s in a state of self-implosion. It’s not going to last.” - Wild Reed
.
That's what they think.  Their 'spirits' lie to them.
.
The deluded always amaze me - I doubt very few people really read and meditate the Passion of Christ these days...
.
The gates of Hell shall not prevail.
.
Art: Medieval Trickster, a mythological spirit.  The trickster spirit disrupts the laws of the governing spirits or nature, frequently masquerading his malice with encouraging effects and the promise of success.

10 comments:

  1. Austringer9:01 AM

    “Why bother? It’s in a state of self-implosion. It’s not going to last.”

    No doubt that's been said many times over the past two thousand years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Why bother? It’s in a state of self-implosion. It’s not going to last.”

    Well--when you see something like the priest-abuse scandal which has now touched even our Dear Holy Father--it is quite obvious that some things need to be changed in the way "business" is conducted... the "boys club" needs to be abolished (in other words there needs to be public records available, and abusers and others not shuffled from place to place under a veil of secrecy). Any priest being asssigned to a new parish should be accompanied by a set of records including "Why did you leave your last assignment??" To use an Obama word--more TRANSPARENCY is required..and clergy who break the law--especially concerning child abuse-- need to be tried in a civil court and put into jail..

    And if priest abuse was happening in B16's archdiocese under his watch...well...we've all seen the consequences of that....

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Terry,

    I take it that you're in agreement, then, with the overall message of my post, a message that says that all levels of the Church are capable of being reformed.

    The person you quoted has given up on the hierarchy. I think that's unfortunate. As I say elsewhere in my post: "My Catholic Christian faith tells me that no one is beyond recognizing and embodying the transforming love of God." And that includes the pope and other members of the Church's clerical leadership. For me, such recognition and embodiment of God's love is at the heart of any true reform. Are we in agreement on that? Or do you consider the clerical leadership not in need of reform, and the pope beyond reproach?

    Finally, I think when you quote at length from another person's post, the least you could do is provide a link so folks can read the entire post for themselves and form their own opinions about the issues being discussed.

    Peace,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops - sorry Michael - I thought I had linked - I fixed it.

    But no, I don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're saying that the Church is not in need of reform? Ever? I'm sorry, but given the devastation and pain that the clergy sex abuse scandal has and continues to cause for people, I find the idea that somehow we just carry on, "business as usual," to be mind-boggling.

    Also, I think that once we've resigned ourselves to the idea that certain levels of the Church or certain people can never be wrong and are thus beyond reproach (and reform), then we've made such levels and people into idols. And truly the "gates of Hell" have prevailed.

    Peace,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And if priest abuse was happening in B16's archdiocese under his watch...well...we've all seen the consequences of that...."

    I didn't word that very well..I'm an Engineer by training and English is not my strong suit...

    What I meant by that is the consequences that other bishops/archbishops have faced due to abuse scandals in their areas of responsibilities...it is noble that an underling wants to fall on his sword in defense of the Holy Father..however it still doesn't excuse the fact that as Archbishop Ratzinger he was ultimately responsible for what was going on in his Archdiocese..

    Peace..Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael - I am happy with the reforms Pope Benedict is spearheading - I wish you were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael I see you deleted your last comment, however I will reply saying, "You got me there Michael. I have no links to demonstrate that."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:19 PM

    So you're saying that the Church is not in need of reform? Ever? I'm sorry, but given the devastation and pain that the clergy sex abuse scandal has and continues to cause for people, I find the idea that somehow we just carry on, "business as usual," to be mind-boggling."

    The reform needs to occur in the public school and Hollywood also. And also mainline Protestentism. As a former neo-pagan and now Catholic, the Church in Her teaching is the only organization with the answers.

    To many reformers do not seem to realize or maybe do not want to realize that the reforms they want are the lead to Destruction.

    Faustina

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.