Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Holy Child in Lent

Following Carmelite tradition (in some monasteries), today initiates the novena to the Infant Jesus.  I continue this tradition of the monthly novena as part of my private prayer, and it remains my one contact with the Carmelite nuns since my sister died.
.
During Lent the character of the devotion is more somber for me, recalling that Jesus knew from the moment of his conception what was to befall him - that he came to give his life for our salvation, as the prayer from the fourth day reminds us, "O Jesus, your Holy Name proclaimed, even from the moment of your conception, your mission as Savior."
.
As usual I pray for all of you who read me, and for those I promised to pray for, as well as those I'm obliged to pray for.  In addition, this month I pray especially for children who suffer and or are abused, children who are ill (little Philip), the poor and homeless.  Children deprived of the faith.  Children living in irregular families, children held captive, and so on.
.
Photo: Santo Nino Cautivo.  Protector of the kidnapped or abducted, especially those children of any age who have been similarly caught up in vice, drugs, slavery, difficult circumstance and life problems.