Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Le Diable chie toujours au même endroit.

"The devil sets up another dangerous temptation: self-assurance in the thought that we will in no way return to our past faults and worldly pleasures: 'for now I have understood the world and know that all things come to an end and that the things of God give me greater delight.' If this self-assurance is present in beginners, it is very dangerous because with it a person doesn't take care against entering once more into the occasion of sin, and he falls flat; please God the relapse will not bring something much worse. For since the devil sees that he is dealing with a soul that can do him harm and bring profit to others, he uses all his power that it might not rise." - St. Teresa of Avila, Way of Perfection 39: 4

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the quote. And also the photo is so so so appropriate. I always imagine the devil is hidden in a manhole (person-hole).
    Please tell me where is this sculpture? Public art interests me. I was trained as a landscape architect before becoming a friar.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother William - I grabbed the image off a website I Googled and neglected to link to - But the sculpture is in Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother - found it:

    A sculpture of a man being tripped up. Next to the Brussels-Charleroi Canal at Sainctelette-plein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I have been following your blog for quite a while. It seems you are a professional artist. Where did you have your training?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother William, thanks - you must be one of the view I haven't scared away - LOL!
    .
    I studied locally at the University of Minnesota but I tend to be more self-taught, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be one of those no-nonsense Minnesotans, as portrayed in the A Prairie Home Companion, although your name doesn't sound German. I know from your blogs that you go to the Cathedral and not some parochial church like OL of Perpetual Responsibility....
    BTW is it difficult to make a living as an artist?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty nonsensical - and yes - it can be difficult to make a living as an artist - if one is like me. I never accepted jobs or commisions I didn't want to do.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.