Friday, May 22, 2009

Novena for Pentecost

Today the Church enters into the solemn Novena for Pentecost. The day after the Solemnity of the Ascension is the day we begin our prayer and preparation for the coming of the Paraclete. The novena begins regardless if the Solemnity has been transferred to the following Sunday or not; although in part, this is the reason why the faithful and many liturgists prefer that the celebration of the Ascension be observed on its proper day. The novena is a spiritual participation in the the first novena made by the Apostles and Our Lady. Today the whole Church retreats as it were, to assemble in prayer, anticipating the coming of the Holy Spirit. The liturgical offices and Mass comprise the novena prayers, although any approved prayers may be used as well.
.
“Holy Spirit, inspire me.
Love of God consume me.
Along the true road, lead me.
Mary, my good mother, look down upon me.
With Jesus, bless me.
From all evil, all illusion, all danger, preserve me.” - Blessed Mary of Jesus Crucified
.
Visit here for additional novena prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.