Sunday, May 01, 2011

Divine Mercy Sunday.

I want to grant complete pardon to the souls that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion on the Feast of My mercy. (Diary 1109)
.
It doesn't matter if your parish holds special devotions for the feast day or not, nor does it matter if your parish priest is into the devotion or not. Either way, the feast has been established for the Second Sunday of Easter, which began Saturday evening with vespers and the vigil Mass. In establishing the feast, the Church has decreed that a plenary indulgence can be received under the usual conditions; confession, communion, prayers for the Holy Father: Pater, Ave, Creed, and detachment from sin, etc. Click here for details.
.
In the revelations to St. Faustina, our Lord said this:
.
On one occasion, I heard these words: My daughter, tell the whole world about My Inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which grace flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will I contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy. (Diary 699) - Source
.
It is generally understood that the confession of sin may take place any time during Lent, or as in the requirements for gaining a plenary indulgence, 8 days before or after the feast. Many people make a big deal about such "toties quoties" indulgences claiming that one has to be completely free of the least attachment to even venial sin in order to gain the indulgence or pardon. Good enough - but if that is the case, then you are probably already dead - so don't get too scrupulous over it. Trust in the Divine Mercy and never place limits upon God.
.
In other words - do not let anything stop you from running to the Divine Mercy with confidence and love. Our Lord himself established the feast to attract the greatest sinners, and even the not so great - the lukewarm, the fallen away, the sanctimonious, the cino, the poor, the rich. Trust is the key. One does not have to be perfect - far from it.
.

"The greater the sinner, the greater the right he has to My mercy." - Source
.
Image: Icon by George Bogdanopoulos 1986.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely said.

    I'm sure looking forward to the immersion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't wait, so I went to confession and Mass tonight - I'll go to adoration tomorrow. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:48 AM

    In my understanding, the grace complete forgiveness of sins and punishment due to sins is granted today to those souls who go to confession and receive Holy Communion -- the typical condition of detachment from all sin necessary for a plenary indulgence is not necessary today. The Mercy that is being offered today is a function of trust, as you say.

    (For reference: http://thedivinemercy.org/library/article.php?NID=2940)

    And, I think you make a good point in general about the conditions of the plenary indulgence and detachment from sin: if one was truly detached from all sin, one would either be dead or practically a saint already. Perhaps then the grace of the indulgence could be 'offered' to another soul?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Divine Mercy and St. Faustina.

    Having said that, that icon is the best (only?) image of Divine Mercy I've ever seen which I truly loved.
    I'd LOVE to have that on my wall.

    Have a wonderful DM Sunday, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mercy Sunday!

    The observance of this great day is NOT contingent upon all kinds of devotionals, as you well said, Mr. Terry.

    I get kinda frustrated with those who get anxious about fulfilling this very simple request who become all OCD about it.

    God is greater than evil; greater than any sin; HE has the last word.

    Just celebrate this great gift of God's merciful love and quit trying to earn it.

    Am I sounding Pelagian?

    I don't mean to. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason - unknown to me, Blogger has sent all of these comments to my gmail inbox, so I will comment,

    I went to the grocery store yesterday and I saw a woman wearing a t-shirt which read, "F- you" written out on the front and the back and because I've been spending more time in the real world (Thank you Mr.Terry for the communication practice skills.) I'm struck by how people are no longer covert with their sins but are out in the open and proud. Where is the feeling of shame or remorse?

    This world isn't the same place I left behind in the 1980's to raise my children. The comments on other Internet sites are stunning and frankly, I've heard and read things I can't even talk about and it's all being accepted - with no condemnation or confrontation.

    These subsequent generation's ideas and actions would have been considered abhorrent to my generation and I wasn't even raised by a religious family AND I hung out with artists. hahahaha Worse yet is that people are generally more modest and well behaved in public than in private , so what's going on in private if this is our communities public "face"? I'm particularly worried for our children, and elderly. Though I have to say, with our elderly, what goes around is coming back around.

    How desperately we need divine mercy, how very grave our situation is, as we need a savior like never before. (IMO). Divine mercy is our only hope of salvation and it's good of you to post about it Mr.Terry.

    That divine mercy painting is gorgeous, also the best D.M. picture I've seen.


    My word verification is Inipsin.
    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hit the trifecta today; Mass, Confession and Adoration!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.