Monday, March 30, 2009

Covering sacred images...


At home?
.
Having grown up with the practice of shrouding statues and crucifixes in churches during Passiontide (the two weeks before Easter), I understand the practice and appreciate it. However, I did not realize some people did this at home as well. I don't do it, but I suppose it can be a nice recreation for some who like to decorate their personal oratory.
.
It reminds me of the Jewish custom of covering mirrors during shivas, so as to avoid taking the focus off of the deceased and the prayers for the dead, as well as to avoid distraction by one or an others reflection and appearance.
.
The Catholic custom in churches, in part, symbolizes how Jesus went into hiding and made the final journey to Jerusalem in secret, while serving the practical purpose of insuring the faithful are free to participate with attentive devotion in the Church's liturgical commemoration of the Passion of Christ. I suppose it's kind of like a shiva during the new Passover. Kinda.
.
Photo: Covered Paso statues, Granada, Spain.

4 comments:

  1. I always cover at home at my "shrine" where I say the Office. (I always keep it "liturgical.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thom - I think it must be a rather meaningful practice for Catholics to do privately, it has never been part of my experience however. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and none of my friends families did it either.

    "I always keep it liturgical." - your prayer is well grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since our parish does not cover statues, and we want our children to learn about the practice during Passiontide, we cover our images at home. I have known other families that did this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry but I roared laughing when I saw that photo thinking it was your house, Ter. You know, that statue of you holding a spear?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.