Friday, January 09, 2009

YSL at Christie's



The Yves Saint Laurent/Pierre Burge Auction.
.
As anyone in fashion and design, or ready to wear knows, the French couturier, Yves St. Laurent died last year. Since his death, an auction featuring original designs from YSL couture and costume jewelry was held in July of 2008. Towards the end of February of this year - the 23, 24, 25 to be exact - another grand auction of the art and antiques collected by St. Laurent and his companion, Pierre Burge, will be hosted by Christie's in Paris. It will be spectacular, I'm sure. Details here.
.
Good quotes.
.
“It pains me physically to see a woman victimized, rendered pathetic, by fashion.” - Yves Saint Laurent (Actually, I find it amusing.)
.
“We must never confuse elegance with snobbery.” - Yves Saint Laurent (Most do however.)
.
Photo source: The Luxe Chronicles - Photo of St. Laurent during the period he was lead designer for the House of Dior.
.
More on the life and work of Yves St. Laurent here.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Here's a mission for you, Terry, and if ANYONE can fulfill it I know you can.

    I have heard rumor that following or around Vatican II time (before my Catholic consciousness kicked in) religious congregations of Sisters (in Europe but maybe also USA?) contacted French (and other?) fashion designers for help with modifying and redesigning their habits.

    True? If so...any scoops or pix of these days and attempts? YOU are the man for this job bro...I know you can fulfill this ecclesial mission:impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - I did do a post on that - I think it was on my other blog that was shot down. I'll see what I can do. I believe Dior did the designs for a modified habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    See...I KNEW you were the man for the job! I will await anything forth coming on that topic.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.