Thursday, November 29, 2007

Place Vendome...

From Paris Daily Photo.



My favorite site in Paris - well one of them - all done up for Christmas. I have a small collection of Grand Tour replicas of the column pictured. Napoleon originally commissioned the column to commemorate the victory at the battle of Austerlitz, 1805. Currently the figure atop the column is the Emperor dressed in Roman attire, although at one time the monument supported Napoleon depicted in the pose most of us are more familiar with, standing with his hand resting in his waistcoat. I have examples of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.