Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Motu Proprio


Pictured, "The Mass of Pope Gregory" - available now at Peyton Wright Gallery in Santa Fe, NM. A superb gallery of fine art, specializing in Spanish Colonial antiquities, Russian Icons, and contemporary art.
The blogs are humming that the "Motu proprio" will soon be released. What is that? You'll have to ask the experts, but as I understand it, it is a general permission or liberalization for the Tridentine Mass to be offered anywhere by any priest without an indult - in other words, the old Mass is more or less restored and is on equal footing with the Novus Ordo - not that it needs restoration, but some progressive Church people wanted it suppressed and would not permit it in their diocese, and so on - it's a big deal. Especially if you are a trad, or an SSPX kind of guy.
What is of interest to me is that I would not have to travel across town if I chose to attend, with the same priests celebrating all of the time. I may be able to assist at a Tridentine Mass in the very same parish I now attend.
That fine blog, "Rorate Caeli" has some of the best updates available on the subject.
The entire matter should never have come to this - the Traditional Liturgy should always have had this privilege, if not preeminence. I find it hard to believe that traditionalists, some of whom may dispute the validity of the Novus Ordo, will ever be satisfied until the Novus Ordo is suppressed. It's just a feeling I have. Whatever the case, it will be good for Missal sales.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Oh, Terry, I am SMITTEN by that painting. (Sankt Klaus, did you hear that?) It says everything to me. Did you know that Saint Gregory had that mystical experience while celebrating Holy Mass at Santa Croce in Gerusalemme? I visited a splendid church in the Big Apple today. You can read about it chez moi. Also somebody was hoping to hear from someone but nobody called anybody. (Tears on the keyboard.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update... looks like it won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.