Sunday, May 21, 2006

Painting of a Bishop

"Bishop in the Woods" Fernando Botero

I like this image as well. It speaks to me. Representational art is more effective in expressing ideas - for me at least - than words. Sometimes when I express myself in words it sounds too harsh or mean-spirited. When I paint something, and maybe when Botero and other artists do so, even if its "in your face" one may always excuse what may seem confrontational. If a painting is naive, as many Latin American works can be, and the style I like, one might overlook many things, dismissing it in precisely that way, calling it naive. Thus the painter may speak his mind with impunity.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:05 PM

    You say this picture speaks to you?
    Perhaps you might want to get medicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you may want to try to understand different genres of art. It's all so subjective however.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.